Flood Recovery Frequently Asked Questions

The Flood of 2016 damaged six schools and multiple school district facilities. The following information will be updated periodically in order to keep the public informed about our recovery. 

FLOOD RECOVERY

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Updated 03-04-20

Click here for campus status updates.

 

Our Priorities:

  • Maintain highest quality of education using available resources;
  • Manage flood recovery construction and acquisition of resources for instruction while maximizing our position relative to FEMA reimbursement eligibility (Fiscal responsibility for today and the future of APSB);
  • Include hazard mitigation in our flood recovery efforts to minimize facility damage in the event of another water related event in the future; and
  • Develop a timeline that is aggressive but includes all priorities above.

 

 1.         What is the total value of damages from the flood?

  • Our current value of flood-related expenditures is at $87 million.

 

2.         How much will FEMA cover?

  • If we continue to follow all the rules and procedures, we should be eligible for up to 90% of the eligible expenditures reimbursed by FEMA, and the remaining 10% will be reimbursed by CDBG-DR. The current value of eligible expenses is approximately $75 million.  We are currently waiting on approximately $5 million from FEMA to obligate.  Additionally, we have received insurance proceeds of $4.6 million. The remaining difference is approximately $2.4 million of necessary campus restoration expenses that FEMA has deemed not eligible.

 

3.       How much have we received in reimbursements?

  • We have received approximately $43 million from the list of agencies above and private donations.\

 

4.         When will permanent repairs be complete?

  • All the flood-damaged school campuses, St. Amant Primary, St. Amant Middle, Lake Elementary, Galvez Primary, Galvez Middle and St. Amant High School are complete. The only project remaining is the replacement of the Operations Center at the Sorrento Site, which houses the Departments of Planning and Construction, Maintenance, and Child Nutrition. The Move-In Date is set for April 2020.

 

5.         This is an emergency; why can’t you expedite permanent repairs?

  • FEMA expects us to follow our typical permitting and public bid law processes, which have specific timelines. Expediting would jeopardize reimbursement. The value of our damages is so high, we cannot afford to pay for repairs out-of-pocket.
  • The most important step in proceeding from design to construction is securing a funding source.
  • Following our normal procedures will put us in the best position for full reimbursement from FEMA.

 

6.         Why did we spending money on temporary buildings?

  • When we learned FEMA would fund the temporary buildings as well as permanent repairs, we realized that path would be better than trying to temporarily repair the permanent buildings and make permanent repairs at a later date.  Temporary buildings provide us a better resource for each school than the current host and platooning situation, which aligns with our number one priority to maintain the highest quality of education using available resources.
  • The temporary buildings did not delay repairs to permanent buildings because we have a set process to follow for permanent repairs. 
  • The temporary buildings allowed us to return to our campuses much sooner than making permanent repairs, so transportation and school hours were back to normal as quickly as possible. This was important for our schools and the community.

  

7.         Why did we not install temporary buildings on St. Amant Primary’s campus?

  • There is not enough room on St. Amant Primary’s campus to support enough temporary buildings to house the entire school. Using the old RPCC site still accomplishes our goal of reuniting the entire student body on one site and moving to normal operating school hours.
  • We plan to move students from RPCC to their permanent campus. The scope of work at this campus is such that we expect it to have the shortest timeline for permanent repairs.